Chapter 6 Resources
1. Based on your own religious tradition what do you see as revelatory in our current environmental crisis? If you do not have a religious tradition in your background, what do you see as revealing deep truths about human beings in our current environmental crisis?
2. This chapter has implied that the current environmental crisis is an opportunity to gain wisdom about how to live. What wisdom do you see in the science of ecology that can help direct humanity as it moves into the future?
3. Using Jenkins’ ecologies of grace (ecojustice, stewardship, and ecospirituality) identify the one that best reflects your current practice and future response to the ecological crisis.
Active Learning Exercises:
1. Using Jenkins’ ecologies of grace (ecojustice, stewardship, and ecospirituality) identify and interpret one pertinent environmental event described in a newspaper, journal, or magazine article.
2. Select one of the key terms from this chapter (revelation, grace, ecojustice, stewardship, etc.) and write your own version of what could be a well referenced Wikipedia™ entry. Do not consult Wikipedia™ before doing this. Submit this as a three-page paper.
3. Research a Christian denomination, parish, or congregation in your area engaged in environmental action. Analyze it based on Jenkins’ ecologies of grace and format it as a PowerPoint™ presentation to be presented to your class. Alternatively, carry out the same assignment and create a YouTube™ video.