For thousands of years, nomadic herdsmen have roamed the harsh, semi-arid lowlands that stretch across 80 percent of Kenya and 60 percent of Ethiopia. Descendants of the oldest tribal societies in the world, they survive thanks to the animals they raise and the crops they grow, their travels determined by the search for [...]
Photographer Peter McBride traveled along the Colorado River from its source high in the Rocky Mountains to its historic mouth at the Sea of Cortez. In this Yale Environment 360 video, he follows the natural course of the Colorado by raft, on foot, and overhead in a small plane, telling the story of a [...]
A short film on the damage to the environment in the Northern state of Punjab as a result of the first Green Revolution in the 1960s. The associated intensive farming practices & use of pesticides, has transformed the landscape and caused grave ecological damage the region known as the ‘bread basket of India’.
A film on water pollution, using the Ottawa River as an example of what happens when a river is used as a dumping place for municipal and industrial waste. Colour animation illustrates exactly what happens to river water as it becomes polluted. Engineers, health authorities and civic officials voice concern over [...]
Lois Gibbs details what happened at Love Canal – birth defects, mental retardation, and government inaction following scientific analysis. A Fierce Green Fire is a new documentary from Oscar-nominated director Mark Kitchell chronicling the history of the environmental movement.
To watch the free, streaming documentary, please click here: http://www.youtube.com/user/homeproject
“WWF Change the way you think”
Short, informative video explains what goes into making a latte: five gallons of water, amongst other resources.
An ABC news report discusses the common misconceptions revolving tap water and bottled water, that bottled water is neither cleaner nor better for you than water straight from the tap.
In village of Zin Pyun Gon, seemingly clean and good-tasting water actually contains arsenic, which over time can cause of range of serious health ailments. UNICEF’s video explains how the organization is trying to combat the poisonous water.
As a result of a severe water shortage in Nevada, officials are promoting dry landscaping, or “xeriscaping,” to residents.
Rural ranchers are at odds with Las Vegas over a controversial water pipeline, which has turned into what some are calling “The Western Water War.” Reporting by Iowa Public Broadcasting.
In this BBC report, reporters discuss that one billion people don’t have access to sufficient water. Reporting from four different countries, the video reveals repercussions of the water shortage.
While water covers approximately 70% of the world’s surface, approximately 97.5% of it is salt water, which leaves only 2.5% of that freshwater– most of which is in glaciers, icebergs, and snow– leaving just 1% of earth’s water for human consumption.
Children and young adults discussing the water crisis and need to recycle water.
Barlow, the keynote speaker of University of Portland’s 2010 water conference, discusses the myth of abundance and assesses the current state of the water crisis.
A Pulse of Where the World Is: Parts 1-11
“SWIPA: A Changing Environment”
This is the three minute version. For download of longer, fifteen minute version, click here.
An assessment of climate change’s impact on snow, water, ice, and permafrost in the arctic (SWIPA). Video explains climate change occurring in the arctic: warming increases, which thaws permafrost, which then releases carbon (CO2 [...]
Microbes are microbial fuel cells to treat waste and purify water. Video explains how this bacteria can both purify waste water and create renewable energy.
Also view on TopDocumentaryFilms.com
This documentary questions the privatization of water with discussions of politics, human rights, and pollution. The filmmaker challenges the domineering water cartel, while also drawing practical solutions to the water [...]
StoryOfStuff.org explains that bottled water costs more than 2,000 times as much as tap water and consistently lose taste and quality tests to tap water, all thanks to the way our materials economy works. Check out the Story of Stuff’s introductory video here.